My Girl Scout troop is going camping in a few weeks and I noticed our supply of fire starters the girls made about 4 years ago was running low. My girls love a good fire and you never know when you will need a little bit of help starting it so I got to work on making some new ones. Usually I have the girls help with these sorts of projects, but we run out of days before the trip and they are still a bit young to be working with super hot wax. Maybe next time we need them, they can help.
I think I spent a total of $4 on this project and plenty of supplies left over to make more. When I realized I needed to make the fire started, I started looking for candles at yard sales. I hit the jackpot and got a grocery bag full of good ones for $2. I had also saved a cardboard egg carton to use and started collecting my dryer lint. Dryer lint is a great aid in fire starting. Next I hit up the Dollar Store for a cheep pan and ladle spending a total of $2.
I put the pan on the stove, set the heat to about medium and added the candles. While I waited for them to melt I added the dryer lint to each little egg cup in the carton. Just enough to cover the bottom, you really do not need a lot. I also set the egg carton on an old cookie sheet I had, just in case the hot wax leaked out the bottom. Once the wax was good a melted I ladled it into the egg carton- the wax is super hot at the time, so be really careful. Turns out the cookie sheet was a good idea as some wax did seep out the bottom. Once I was all done filling the egg carton, I took it outside, still on the cookie sheet to dry and harden fully. I then tore them apart and sealed them in a container. I now have 12 awesome fire starters that should last a little while. See pics below of my process.